S11251 N264

Inner House
Darlinghurst, East Sydney

The Inner House is a single dwelling constructed in the 1926 First Church of Christ Scientist in East Sydney. The House is erected on a platform built over the raking floor with a pair of two storey cubes flanking the volume. These spaces contain sleeping accommodation and ancillary facilities whilst the central space provides living and dining areas. The concept is derived from the formal geometry of the volume, its austerity and the temporary nature of the new structure.

The desire to leave the existing fabric untouched drove the design. The new structure is freestanding, lightweight, raw and designed for off-site fabrication and disassembly. It allows the Church volume to be experienced while still expressing its own qualities. Three rows of pews have been retained to permit occasional public performances on the renowned Church Organ.

The walls of the new building emit a soft glow at night. The floor of the space is heated and an ethanol fire provides glowing warmth avoiding penetrations through the roof. The project was built in 14 weeks and restoration work to the original fabric continues. This is a contemporary installation designed around the formality and symmetry of the original space.

Client:
Private

Area:
519 sqm

Completion:
December 2011

Awards:
  • AIA National Architecture Awards, National Award for Interior Architecture 2012 
  • AIA NSW Architecture Awards, Architecture Award for Residential Architecture – Houses 2012
  • MBA NSW Excellence in Housing Awards, Adaptive Re-use $2M & Over Winner 2012

Downloads:
Inner_House.pdf



S11251 N249
S11251 N253
S11251 N250
S11251 N248
S11251 N257
S11251 N261
S11251 N264
S11251 N249
S11251 N253
S11251 N250
S11251 N248
S11251 N257
S11251 N261